Hood Law Firm, LLC Lawyers Combat Drug Crime Charges
Exploring every available legal option to protect your future
The state of Georgia takes drug charges seriously, which is why the penalties for a drug conviction are severe. The criminal defense attorneys of Hood Law Firm, LLC have unparalleled skill and commitment in defending clients against drug charges. Our priority is protecting you from the harm caused by a conviction.
Aggressive defense against a wide range of drug crimes
With more than 50 years of experience, our attorneys offer creative defense strategies to individuals facing drug charges including:
We craft a defense that offers you the best chance for success, whether in getting the charges against you reduced or dropped.
We have the knowledge needed to help you address charges associated with a wide range of controlled substances
Our knowledge of Georgia criminal law allows us to help you combat drug charges involving a wide range of controlled substances, including:
By understanding the laws and how they apply to your specific situation, we can guide you in making informed decisions about your defense and your future.
What are the penalties I may face?
The penalties resulting from a drug crime conviction vary based on the type and amount of drug involved and whether the accused has a criminal history. Drugs and certain substances used to make them are classified by the federal government into categories, known as schedules, based on the drug’s addictive qualities and merits for medical use. Penalties for conviction are as follows:
- Marijuana. Possession of less than an ounce of marijuana is a misdemeanor charge with maximum penalties of $1,000 in fines and up to a year in jail. Possession of more than an ounce of marijuana is a felony, which may result in 1 to 10 years in prison and hefty fines.
- Schedule I. Charges for possession of a Schedule I substance, including heroin and ecstasy, is a felony. If convicted, you face from 2 to 15 years in prison and hefty fines.
- Schedule II. Substances classified as Schedule II include cocaine and methamphetamines. Convictions involving these substances carry the same penalties as Schedule I.
- Schedule III. Steroids, testosterone and ketamine are classified as Schedule III substances. Convictions involving these substances may result in from 1 to 5 years in prison and hefty fines.
- Schedules IV, V. Prescription drugs, such as Percocet and Vicodin, are classified under Schedules IV and V. Convictions involving these substances carry penalties ranging from 1 to 5 years in prison and hefty fines.
It is important to note that repeat offenses carry stiffer penalties, including added prison time and fines.
We explore every legal strategy possible in defending you
Our primary concern is to protect your rights and your freedom. If you are facing a felony drug charge, we do everything possible to have the charges reduced to misdemeanors if we cannot get them dropped altogether.
If you have been charged with a drug crime, contact us today
Drug charges are serious, requiring a solid defense by experienced lawyers who are determined to fight for your freedom. Contact the criminal defense attorneys at Hood Law Firm, LLC online or call us at 706-602-0602 in Calhoun or 770-387-4500 in Cartersville.